Sunday, April 1, 2007

Kent McManigal Interview With PE'08


Kent McManigal is seeking the Libertarian Party and Boston Tea Party nominations, and took the time to answer a few questions about his campaign, as well as what he hopes to accomplish. His website is at www.kentforliberty.com

Why did you decide to run for president?

Back in the fall of 2003 I had gotten very excited about Micheal Badnarik's campaign. I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times and really liked him as a person, and agreed with him as a candidate. I was thrilled and surprised when he actually got the LP nomination, even though he was not the favorite going into the convention.

Then the 2004 election came and he got very few votes. I was very disappointed that no one seemed to even notice that anyone other than the Republican/Democrats were running. I decided to try to change that. I couldn't ask someone else to do something if I was not willing to do the same myself.

So, this is what I did: The day after the election, I began my own campaign. I had no money to spend, and no political connections, but with an early start I though that just maybe I could get some momentum building. I compared this to the motion of a glacier. I set up a Geocities webpage to lay out my "agenda" and explain my positions. I began to spread the word on the internet and through "guerilla marketing" techniques. I did not affiliate myself with any party, but just plainly stated where I stood. I knew I was much more "libertarian" than anything else. I asked for anyone who wished to support me to become my campaign staff and promote my candidacy in any way they saw fit. It has actually worked better than I should have expected.

What do you expect to accomplish with your campaign?

Expectations? I am not sure I "expect" anything, although I know what I would like to see accomplished. I would like to get attention focused on the cause of liberty, and make people rethink their own notions of freedom. I would like for people to recognize that their vote is only wasted if they vote for the lesser of two evils instead of the candidate they would actually prefer to see win. I would like for Americans to stop and think about what America has become in the years since the revolution, and see how far we have strayed from what America was designed to be. And, I would actually like to become the next President of the United States.

What will be your main priorities if elected?

To get the federal government back under the control of the people; in line with the highest laws of the land: the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Thanks, Kent, and best of luck with your campaign!

No comments: